Friday, June 6, 2014

How to: Remove stamps from its envelope

I am a stamp collector. I love stamps because of its historical value and uniqueness. My mom is my primary source of stamps. She gives me loads of envelope with stamps on it. The problem is how am I going to remove the stamps without damaging them. I found a tutorial on internet on how to remove them safely from the envelope.


This is a letter from my Grand Aunt from Washington DC. It is a 20 years old letter. Take note that a stamp on a envelope that's a half-century old or older has more historical value than the stamp alone. So, think twice first before removing them form the envelope.

You'll be needing: warm water (enough for the stamp to be soaked), scissors, and paper towels.


 Step 1: Cut the area of the stamp from the envelope. 


 Step 2: Soak the cut corner in bowl of warm water. Usually it will took more than 10 minutes.


Note that if the stamp is already old, there's a better chance that the ink would run. In the past stamps were printed in such a way that soaking will ruin the stamp; this will prevent from people to recycle stamps. If you are worried that the ink would run, add cold water. 


Step 3: As soon as the stamp separated from its cut corner, it will float. Use tweezers to pick the floating stamps.


Step 4: Put the stamps on the paper towel. Place it in up-side-down position to prevent the stamp from sticking on the paper towel. Place it in a cool dry place. Let it dry. It will took almost an hour or so. Just check up on it regularly. 

Remember: In most countries, reusing stamps is against the law.

Next time, I will share to you my stamp collection. I hope to see yours soon. 

Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment